Monday, October 22, 2007

Monday Night Failure

So, I had planned to do a Simmons (Gershon?)-style running diary of tonight's Monday Night Football game. It's not that I have a vested interest in the Colts or the Jaguars; it's that Monday Night Football is as hyperbolically self-indulgent as Real Time with Bill Maher, and I felt that it needed to be knocked down a few pegs by the B-man (myself, to the uninitiated). However, right after I wrote out a (hilarious) comment on the motley crew of has-beens that ESPN assembled to join Hank Williams Jr. for the theme song (Brian Setzer AND Richie Sambora??? OMGZ!), my computer decided that it would be turning off abruptly, denying you the general public of my delectable commentary. However, I have a few notes regarding tonight's game.
  • For the first time ever, you can say this: "You know, I think that the only reason that Tom Brady puts up gaudier numbers than Payton Manning is that he's got a stronger batch of receivers."
  • I improved to 7-0 in my fantasy league tonight, as Dallas Clark failed to catch 4 touchdowns.
  • As much as I love him, Tony Kornheiser still feels uncomfortable in the booth. Granted, it could be a little emasculating to know that there's someone in the booth named Jaws and it isn't you, but man up, Tony.
  • With Marvin Harrison banged up, it is henceforth Kimpossible for Reggie Wayne to retain his title as the "Silent Assassin"
  • If the Rockies don't win the World Series, then I will continue to grow out my beard until November 4th, when either the Pats or the Colts will pick up their first loss. Worlds will collide.
Also, during the game I noticed this interview on Pitchfork with Devendra Banhart. Usually Pitchfork interviews are too focused on the interviewers "clever" musings, but Joshua Klein does a really good job of focusing the conversation with a notedly unfocused subject. That said, Banhart is a much more well-thought and level-headed guy than one would imagine from his records or his physical appearance. Favorite quote: "The best New York in the world is driving down the [Pacific Coast Highway] listening to the Velvet Underground. That's the best time I've ever been to New York."

Take it sleazy,
Benji

PS: Andrew Bird will be on Conan tonight. Czech it out.
PPS: I was wrong about Dice-K. Get over it.

6 comments:

Ricky F said...

Your delectable humor is sincerely missed...

Who knew blogging could be such cool beans?

JMA said...

I really like Kornheiser-Jaws, I think it's a great booth (relative to what has become MNF in recent years)

Benji said...

It's certainly a fun booth, but Tony is basically a less annoying version of Dennis Miller. Tirico is pretty much a non-factor, but there is genuine chemistry blooming between Jaws and Tony, I just think it'll take until the end of the season for them to get it down pat.

JMA said...

Jaws is clearly THE MAN when it comes to giving unbiased football analysis...probably in all of sports, certainly within the ABC family of networks. Tony is exactly a toned down Dennis Miller, and the chemistry between him and Jaws (mostly through Jaws making fun of Tony) seems real enough. Anyhow, after the real CRAP that has been MNF for the last decade at least it's nice to get a booth that doesn't want to make me hit 'mute'.

Abram said...

It's "gershen," not "gershon." Nice shout out though.

Hannah said...

truly, benj. i'm honored!